EFFECTS OF NATURAL HERBS FOR LUNGS HEALTH
‘’Life is quite easy. Breathe in, breathe out, and then repeat’’. But is it enough??? There is a lot more needs to live long with healthy lungs. Even considering herbs for lungs health is a difficult task to perform. There is a long list of beneficial herbs for respiratory health to support lungs. In many ways, these herbs and herbal medicines for lungs benefit your respiratory system. Form fighting off respiratory illness and inflammation, breaking up phlegm, helping with asthma, and even use of herbs to heal lungs are some commonly known benefits. But there is much more to explore and reveal about the herbs good for lungs.
LUNGS & HEALTH:
When we breathe…
We suck in life, and our exhale shares it back to the world.
This give and take of life are not as simple as it is written here; a complicated process of pulmonary respiration performs this one line anthem of life. We breathe, and we are also being breathed by plants of course, for their respiration process. This cooperation of respiration between animals and plants is part of this universal circulatory system. Lungs are breathing machines, and breathing feeds oxygen to every single cell of the body. Insufficient oxygen makes people prone to severe health problems that include chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, respiratory illnesses, and even heart diseases.
HERBS FOR LUNGS HEALTH:
It seems that mainstream beliefs taking herbs for lungs health are not so useful and not worth taking. But in actual effectiveness and use of herbs for lungs health has not been examined deeply. For an extended period, pharmaceutical companies tried to mimic naturally occurring compounds (herbs), but this attempt created a significant factor of side effects. But no one could beat nature. Now the realization of the benefits of herbal medicines and herbs is trending in, and herbs are being used as a useful tool in fighting infections that are already transformed into superbugs thanks to the overuse of antibiotics.
Every single herb has a big number of idiosyncratic compounds that make it beneficial for numerous health issues. There is a genuinely long list of herbs that are beneficial for lungs health, and it is nearly impossible to explain every single herb for lungs health. In this article, we will discuss some easy to use herbs for lungs that are considered safe generally to use in moderation. Most of the information mentioned about herbs in this post is taken from the research papers and books of herbologists, nutritionists, and homeopathic practitioners. But before discussing these natural herbs for lungs you need to understand a few ways to utilize these herbs for respiratory health and to heal lungs.
WAYS TO USE HERBS FOR LUNGS HEALTH:
Some of the common ways to use herbs for treatments are:
- CULINARY: Using herb as a whole by adding it into food to get its benefits.
- Decoction: Using the potent finished product of the plant by boiling plant material for several minutes.
- Essential Oil: Extracting highly concentrated volatile oil from different parts of each plant.
- EXTRACT: Extraction can be done by soaking the plant for a longer period in a solvent.
- TEA: Steeping of fresh or dried plant material in water to get therapeutic properties of the herbs.
AMAZING HERBS FOR LUNG HEALTH & TO HEAL LUNG:
The herbs for lung I am discussing here have potent therapeutic properties to maintain lung health and to heal lung they are easy to use means need no complicated formulations to utilize their benefits, and all are safe to use without any side effects if used in controlled quantity.
There are barely some herbal medicines for lungs without Mullein. It is almost an essential part of lung formulas and herbal tea for lung. This plant is native to Europe and has many species. It is a wooly kind of plant with thick and large leaves and yellow flowers on top.
Biological Name: Verbascum Thapsus
Parts used: Both of the leaves and flowers of Mullein are used to make herbal extracts and medicines to strengthen the lungs.
Benefits or lungs:
- Mullein has antifungal, antibacterial, and antiviral properties and helps to clear phlegm.
- Mullein is the natural medicine that can break down the mucus in the lungs because of a compound present in it called saponins.
- It is also useful in inflammation of lung by cleaning the bronchial tubes.
- From very ancient times, it is used to treat cold, cough, breathing issues, and lung issues.
- Mullein creates ionic balance or dynamic equilibrium by controlling the structural capacity of tissues to hold or release water.
- Mullein lubricates the mucosa and provides relaxation to the larynx.
How to use:
- As a tincture, its 20 to 40 drops per day can be used.
- Either can make its Tea by fresh or dried leaves by boiling the leaves for 10-20 minutes in water.
NOTE: Before consuming the Tea, it is better to strain it. The little hairs all over Mullein may irritate the throat.
Thyme is warm and spicy, mostly used for culinary purposes, but in actual it is a potential herb with many of the healing properties and uses. Its name is derived from Greek word ”thuo’’ or ‘’ thymos” that means bravery and courage. This member of the mint family is relatively small in size with aromatic leaves and uses to make the essential oils and also used to flavor food.
Biological Name: Thymus vulgaris
Parts used: Flowers and leaves
Benefits for lung:
- It is the best remedy use for Colds and lung infections.
- Traditionally it is used to treat cough issues associated with asthma, bronchitis, COPD, emphysema, and pertussis.
- Thyme relaxes and releases the narrowing of breath and lungs by affecting the central nervous system.
- It breaks up phlegm and strengthens the lungs and fights against chest congestion.
How to use:
- As a tincture, its 15-20 drops three times a day are useful.
- We can add it to our daily food liberally.
- It can be used as Tea, essential oil, extract, and decoction.
NOTE: It has the strength to heat and dry that is why it is recommended to use its tea with lemon and honey.
Eucalyptus is used to treat multiple health issues, and it is one of the best herbs for lungs health. It is native to Australia but can easily grow anywhere in the world. It has many species and its leaves contain potent volatile oils.
Biological Name: Eucalyptus globules
Parts used: Leaves
Benefits for lungs:
- Eucalyptus has antioxidants, and it helps to strengthen the immune system during flu, colds, and other illnesses.
- Eucalyptus tea can be taken for throat irritation.
- It is also used in syrups and lozenges as a decongestant.
- Its supplements are used for rheumatism and bronchitis and temporary relief of cough and congestion.
How to use:
- Its dried leaves are consumed as a tea.
- The option of decoction and steam inhaling are also available.
- It can also be used in the form of essential oils.
- Eucalyptus is also used in the preparations of balms, aroma blends, and salves.
Elecampane is widely naturalized in North America, and it is amazingly useful for chronic lung conditions and rattling lung infections. This yellow and green wonder is a natural antibacterial agent for lungs.
Biological Name: Inula helenium
Parts used: Roots
Benefits for lungs:
- Elecampane activates the tissues of the upper digestive tract and works on the lungs by stimulating expectorants.
- It clears out excess mucus by stimulating superficial nerve endings of the digestive tract; it escalates mucociliary of cilia tract where cilia and mucus collectively work to gather dust particles and micro-organisms to eliminate them.
- It protects the impairing of the lungs.
How to use:
- It tastes so good that it can be taken directly with honey.
- Generally, it is available as a tincture.
NOTE: It is also used for bloating and indigestion and may cause severe stomach cramps.
5. INDIAN TOBACCO:
Indian tobacco is native to open woodlands of North America. With a small pale blue flower, this is the most effective herb for smoker’s lungs. It is also used to quit smoking, support the alcoholism recovery, and for soothing muscles. This herb has healing and detoxifying properties.
Biological Name: Lobelia inflate
Parts used: Leaves, flowers, and seeds
Benefits for lungs:
- The alkaloid present in Indian tobacco by the name of the lobeline loses the phlegm in the air passage and reduces the mucus present here.
- It deals with various respiratory problems like asthma, throat and lung irritation, bronchitis, and coughs.
- Indian tobacco plant reverses the effect of tobacco on the lungs. The lobeline present in it has a structure similar to nicotine, which is why nicotine receptors quickly adopt it. Therefore, it can sooth cravings for nicotine and helps individuals to quit smoking.
- It is also taken internally for whooping cough, apnea (shortness of breath), and pleurisy.
How to use:
- You can boil its leaves to inhale its steam for at least 10 minutes.
NOTE: its overdose can cause headaches, nausea, vomiting, and in very high dose, it can be poisonous and fatal.
All these and Lobelia, Elecampane, Plantain leaf, Lungwort, Hawthorne, and Usnea are very few of the herbs for lungs health. A long list of herbs good for lungs is still behind to explore, but here an important issue to be necessarily discussed. That is LUNG CANCER.
What is Lung Cancer?
Lung cancer is the abrupt and uncontrolled growth of lung cells that starts in one or both lungs. Commonly this condition appears in the cells that line the air passage. These abnormal cells divide rapidly and form a tumor instead of developing healthy lung tissues.
Can you survive Lung Cancer?
Once your lymph nodes and bloodstream are exposed to cancer, your whole body is at risk. The best time to cure it before spreading it outside the lung. The age, overall health, and how well the body responds to treatment. But the risk of death is high for lung cancer.
Alternate treatment for Lung Cancer:
Science is still struggling with lung cancer, but some scientific pieces of evidence support the effectiveness of alternative treatments for lung cancer that include the use of herbs for lungs health and treatment of lung cancer. In this article, we are going to share some herbs and plants that help reduce the chances of lung cancer and also can be used alongside conventional treatments such as Chemotherapy. These herbs not only reduce the side effects of treatments but also ease the symptoms of lung cancer, and they can even kill the cancer cells.
Commonly used herbs for lung cancer:
This immunomodulatory herb slows down tumor growth, helps to boost the immune system, enhances the efficiency of chemotherapy drugs, and prevents the tumor from spreading.
It is commonly known as licorice root. It is a vitamin that speeds up mucous secretion and provides relief in shortness of breath and cough.
It reduces phlegm and improves sleep in insomnia patients. It is also called Fu ling, and it works as a diuretic in the case of patients with edema.
AMERICAN SILVER TOP ROOT:
It works as an antibiotic and uses to reduce chemicals in the body that promote cancer. It is also used to treat tissues-permeability, treats dry coughing, and reduces inflammation.
In addition to all the above-mentioned herbs, oldenlandia diffusa, asparagus root, and many other herbs are beneficial for the treatment of lung cancer.
John Mur said,
‘’In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks’’.
Herbs are the precious gift of nature. In a variety of ways, we can use natural herbs for lungs health and heal and treat the issues related to lungs health. The only need is to detach ourselves from the artificial way of living life and regrowing the forever relation with herbs to get maximum benefits for health. What’s your opinion about it? Please do comment and share your thoughts with us.